Its that time of year… Summer rolls around and with it the 4th of July and Pioneer Day!
What does that mean? BBQ’s, party’s, and FIREWORKS! These are may be a lot of fun for humans, but for us Pets, it can be a very terrifying time. Unlike people, pets don’t associate the noise, flashes, and burning smell of fireworks with celebrations. Pets are terrified of fireworks, and often panic at the loud whizzes and bangs they produce.
Because of this, the American Humane Association reports that July 5 is the busiest day of the year for animal shelters. Why? In a 2005 press release the Indiana Proactive Animal Welfae, Inc. (PAW) stated that animal shelters the day after Fourth of July are “bursting with pets that panicked at the noise of firecrackers and fled into the night, winding up lost, injured or killed.”
So here are some tips to help keep your furry babies safe this 4th of July and Pioneer Day!
- Keep your Pets Inside!
Even if your pet is used to being outside, the panic that can be caused by the fireworks or other loud noises may cause them to jump a fence or escape to find safety. And if you are going to watch a fireworks display, LEAVE YOUR PET AT HOME! It may be fun to take them along with the family, but they can get scared and run away in all the people and noise. Leave them home inside in a safe, quiet, room.
- Alcoholic Drinks are Poisonous!
Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested they can become very intoxicated and weak, go into a coma, or die from respiratory failure. And yes, ALL alcohol including beer is toxic to your dogs and cats.
- Don’t Put Insect Repellent on your Pet that isn’t Specifically for Animal Use
Insect Repellent that has DEET (a common insecticide) can cause life long neurological issues.This also includes putting “people” sunscreen on your pet. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy. What isn’t toxic to humans can be toxic to animals.
- Never Use Fireworks Around Pets
Exposure to lit fireworks can pose a threat to curious pets and result in severe burns, and trauma to the face and paws. Even unlit fireworks can be hazardous. Most fireworks contain potentially toxic substances lite arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals.
- Don’t Let Your Pet Wear Glow Stick Jewelry
While it may look cute and festive, your pet could get it off when your not looking and chew up and swallow the plastic pieces. And the glow liquid inside of the plastic tube can be toxic and cause drooling, stomach irritation, and blockage if they swallow big pieces of the plastic container.
- Citronella Candles are Toxic!
It may keep those pesky mosquitoes away, but citronella candles, oils, insect coils, and other citronella based repellents are irritating toxins to pets. Inhaling the oils could cause pneumonia, and eating any of the products could case damage to the nervous system.
- Keep your Pets on their Normal Diets
If you are having a barbecue, you may be tempted to give your furry babies some table scraps. But sometimes any change, even for one meal, can give your pet severe indigestion and diarrhea. And keep in mind the other foods that can harm your pet like, beer, chocolate, onions, coffee, avocado, grapes, raisins, salt, and yeast dough to name a few.
- Matches and Lighter Fluid are Harmful
Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets reach. Certain types of matches have a harmful chemical substance in them, that if ingested can cause difficulty breathing, damage blood cells, and cause kidney disease. Lighter fluid can cause irritation to the skin, and breathing problems if inhaled.
- Make Sure your Pet is Identified!
If your pet does manage to break loose and get lost, without proper identification it can be MUCH harder to get your baby back. Make sure they have ID tags with their name and your phone number on them and get them micro-chipped!
Always remember the safest and best option for celebrating the 4th of July with your pets is to exclude them from the holiday events, and find them a safe, secure spot in your home. We will enjoy the shelter and quiet while our humans enjoy the loud and fun!
I hope these tips were helpful, and you’ll stick to them! I know I will be grateful my mom does!
Straight from The Dog’s Mouth,